Monday, July 21, 2008

Should I Give My Irish Bed & Breakfast Host a Gift?

This question has been brought up many times on the Frommers Message Forums and I typically take a back seat because my opinion is quite the opposite of many on the board... they agree to take a gift and I oppose it.

Well, I finaly opened my fingers and typed away explaining why I don't agree with taking a trinket or something representing your home town and was surprised that I had a few folks back me up here.

Before you berate me for being rude or inconsiderate, let me explain...

Ireland Bed & Breakfast Are Run As A Business

The Irish Bed and Breakfast is a business and they're run as just that, sometimes the
only source of income for a family. You'll be told what time you can check-in, what is on the breakfast menu as well as times and a time when you'll need to vacate your room so the owner can clean it, wash sheets and get ready for their next guests.

Disrupt this routine and you'll be politely reminded of the rules so as to not delay the turnaround time. You will be told that payment in cash is preferred to credit card (which cuts into profits). You will be charged a supplement for a private bath with certain voucher systems. Sounds like a business doesn't it?

Would you give a gift to the Hyatt reception when check-out and pay your bill? How about your Doctor after he orders a battery of mind-numbing tests? Do you receive gifts by your clients after providing a service? Of course not...

Times To Give A Gift

Ok, so I told you not to give a gift to bed and breakfast owners when traveling through Ireland and now I'm going to tell you that there are tinmes when you might want to give a gift.

I might consider taking a gift and giving it to the owner when I've stayed with them a few times prior and the owner remembers you, conversations begin with you both catching up with what has happened over the past year.

One year I gave a Christmas tree ornament from Philadelphia to a B&B owner in Galway
because I had stayed with her the prior three years and we were always welcomed with tea and biscuits as well as conversations of family, life and travel. She noticed our wedding rings and made such a fuss, congratulating us and asking about the details ... we had become friends and I would give a friend a gift.

I would also take a gift if I were staying in one B&B for a few days or longer. My
experience has shown that you really learn a lot about the owner and their family as you become more familiar to them and requests may become more unsual. Conversations about your daily adventures and inquiring about local sites and attractions usually unveil hidden treasures for which I want to thank the owner for sharing.

Gifts That Don't Clutter

If you are going to give a gift then I would suggest a gift that shows appreciation while not leaving an imprint. In other words, find out something that your host likes, perhaps a particular type of chocolate or candy, a bottle of wine or treat from home. These items will be appreciated but they won't clutter the B&B itself.

Here's my reasoning that your item be edible -- B&Bs have an average of 3 rooms and are open 7 days a week during the 3-month high season. If each person brought a gift of a knicknack or trinket, that would be 252 "things" the owner would feel obligated to display, not to mention the other 9 months of the year! Not only would these items clutter the B&B but what are the chances that all 252 be the same taste of the owner?

Your stuff is going in the garbage quite soon after the first house-cleaning so your
gift, while well-intentioned, is not going to be appreciated for too long.

A Gift That Lasts - TripAdvisor.com Review

I have to give credit to BetsyA from the Frommers
Message Forums
who suggested a good review on TripAdvisor.com - a brilliant gift that shows
gratitudes, lasts a long time, helps the host's business and more!

I absolutely love this idea, can you tell?

Leave a note on a nice little card for the owner to thank them for their hospitality and let them know you will be giving them a positive review on TripAdvisor.com. If you have any concerns that you will mention online, I would be kind and let them know as well so t is not a surprise and they can rectify the situation.

This "gift" will allow web surfers (and my clients) to find the B&B and positive reviews will ensure future business for the owner. A true gift to me would be referrals and more business.

An online recommendation also ensure the owner keeps up their level of service and
accommodations -- a slip here or there will result in a post that is not so favorable, leading to declining bookings. It ensures future travelers will have the same experience that you did.

And -- you won't clutter the B&B with your "gift" nor will it be thrown out as you leave their driveway.

No comments: