Friday, September 19, 2008

Visiting Raymond Klee in Ballylickey

The weather has been extremely unusual for Ireland – sunny and warm! In fact I think I might be getting a slight tan as we sit outside with our friends Raymond and Florence.

Let’s see, we drove from Doolin to Ballylickey in about 4 hours and this is where distances versus time is quite deceiving. We were in Limerick around 11:00am south on the N20 which is a nice-sized motorway. The total distance to our turn-off was about 105km, maybe 60 miles and it took us about two hours. The motorway narrows through villages with traffic here and there. Once off the main road the traveling was even slower through winding mountain roads until we emerged into Ballylickey.
Raymond and Florence were in the kitchen when we arrived so we walked in, made ourselves at home and began the process of catching up on the past year.

Unfortunately Raymond has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and his memory is not what it used to be, though he did remember the two of us. My fear was having him wonder who we were and why we were staying in his house. He had none of that and within the hour Raymond was whisking us off to his studio to show us the works he’s completed and what he was working on now. In fact he painted a wonderful seascape which he allowed me to get on film!

Oh, wait… I had a woman, Judy, contact me through the Internet to find out more about a painting of Raymond’s that she purchased through a thrift store. We emailed quite a bit within two days, me receiving digital photos and a letter to bring to Ireland for Raymond. I decided to go one step further and get his reaction on video, knowing full well that he would give me a show for Judy and that he did. I began reading the letter and his eyes would open wide and he would give me one of his grins indicating the show was about to begin. Just as I came to the part asking about the name of the painting he paused, full-grin and slowly gave the name… “Oil” … “Painting” and that was the end of the letter and questions. Sorry Judy! That is when Raymond went back to his oil painting and the video taping continued.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Dean, I loved finding this on the internet. I feel so famous. I just wanted to tell you thank you again for doing everything you did for me. After wondering what the name of it could be all this time. I am very happy to know it now as "Oil Painting" Officially!! Thats Great! I love it. Thanks. If you see him again, tell him I said hi.
I wish I could see his other paintings. If anyone has any of his works. Please send me a picture. I cant get enough of him.
Ill be in touch. Love Judy

JeanJean the Dancin Machine said...

Hi Judy and Dean, I just discovered this site while trying to locate information on an oil painting I purchased in the late 1960s. I love this painting and am always proud and excited to show it to my friends. Everyone who sees it loves it!

I was a teenager when my best friend and I saw a man (I now believe may be Raymond Klee)creating his art at an exhibition at a local department store. We were both blown away by his art - stark, modern looking seascapes with explosive skies. My painting is mainly oranges and reds, with silhouetted black figures walking on the beach. It's large, unframed, and painted on wood.

From the descriptions of paintings here, I think that Raymond Klee may be the artist. The name KLEE is painted in the lower left corner in white, sticklike letters.

I'd be glad to try and share a copy of this painting, if one of you can post an email address. Also, if you know of any publications about his work, I'd love to know about them.

I'm so excited that I found your posts and can't wait to find out more about this amazing man!

Jeanie R.

Jeff B. said...

Just came across this, while looking for some of his art online. Sadly, he passed away on Jan.19 of this year. I've got one of his paintings, and wish I bought more when I visited his place in Ireland years ago.

Enchanting Ireland said...

We're very sad about Raymond's passing. His wife actually passed away prior and we're heart-broken about that as well.